Philosophy

Adult ADHD: Myths, Prejudices, and Realities of Success

Message to the World: "Stop the ADHD Prejudice"

Adult ADHD: Myths, Prejudices, and Realities of Success


A Canadian newspaper article describing the experience of a woman finding out that her doctor has ADHD. 
After being under his care for more than 30 years, she never noticed any symptoms of ADD.

Her doctor encouraged her impress on skeptical people that:
ADHD is a real disorder and those who have been diagnosed with it can do wonderful things.  
 
Another example of a person adapting and thriving with ADHD:

Cameron Herold, 46, an entrepreneur who started several companies and now runs "Backpocket COO".
He has ADD and has found ways to work around his symptoms.

He mentors executives in fast-growing start-ups, helping them sidestep their doubts and find opportunity in unlikely places. Herold travels the world speaking to business people and imparting his good-news message of "you can be successful."

Herold wishes that his teachers had encouraged him in school.
"I won several speaking competitions in elementary school, but all my teachers could say was, ‘pay attention’ or ‘sit still’ or ‘stop talking.’
 It would have been great if they had recognized my strengths in public speaking and found ways to help me succeed.
It took me many years to realize my dream, but here I am making my living doing what I did so well way
back in grammar school."

Herold’s advice: "Sometimes what the world thinks is your weakness is your strength.

Don’t be afraid to ignore what the world is telling you. It might be the key to your success."